Recreational Pharmaceuticals

Discussion of Julian Jaynes's second hypothesis - the bicameral mind, specifically the subtopic of auditory hallucinations in the normal population.
Soupdragon

Recreational Pharmaceuticals

Post by Soupdragon »

Hallucinations are not uncommon when under the influence of drugs of course. Has there been any research on activity levels of certain areas of the brain when people take, say, LSD?
minorwork

Re: Recreational Pharmaceuticals

Post by minorwork »

Soupdragon wrote:Hallucinations are not uncommon when under the influence of drugs of course. Has there been any research on activity levels of certain areas of the brain when people take, say, LSD?
Early 70s saw a fourway tab of Orange Sunshine unleash auditory annoucements on a broke radio addressing me by name. Told it to shut up and it did. Was so distinctly different from the all encompassing buzzing hum that would break into the outers sounds received from the ears. Not even tied at all to the visuals, not directly of a tremendous ARC with three wise men with goggles throwing books into the arc that could not be see directly but oh so close. "Feed it math, make it smart. Feed it science, make it work. Feed it lit, make it read." The books would hit the arc and a burst of sparks would shower out and spread to become the surroundings of where I was. The experience was visually near the Altered States scene of drinking the nasty concoction and Lilly eating a lizard. Or the Start Trek Next Generation where Murdoch of the A-Team replace the interface of the computer with a hologram center and moved the Enterprise across the Galaxy in an instant. THAT with me but with all kinds of hydroelectric powered lines with enormous transformers feeding me to make me keep creating the Universes. Orange Sunshine, whew.

Return to “2.1. Hypothesis Two: The Bicameral Mind | Subtopic: Auditory Hallucinations in Normal Adults”