Evidence of suicide?

Discussion of Julian Jaynes's third hypothesis - dating the development of consciousness to roughly 1500-1200 BCD in Egypt, Greece, and Mesopotamia (the transition occurred at different times in different places around the world). Includes analysis of ancient texts (such as the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Bible), linguistics, and archeological evidence from ancient civilizations as it pertains to the transition from the bicameral mind to consciousness.
rheiman

Evidence of suicide?

Post by rheiman »

It would seem to me that, if there is no evidence of (intentional and by sane people) suicide prior to around 3000 BP, this would bolster Jaynes theory. Any thoughts on this?
Site Admin

Re: Evidence of suicide?

Post by Moderator »

Jaynes talks about this on p. 308. I haven't read about this by other authors, however.

It would be interesting to see if someone else has written on the history of suicide or the concept of/occurrence of suicide in ancient civilizations.
rheiman

Post by rheiman »

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that when I submitted this post. I'd have reread the book by now if not for the fact that it's been on loan for a long time. Please feel free to delete this thread.
Site Admin

Post by Moderator »

Let's see if someone else comes along with any updated information on the earliest accounts of suicide in antiquity.
rheiman

Post by rheiman »

Anyway, Jaynes came up with too many original ideas. Didn't leave enough for the rest of us!! :)

Return to “3.0. Hypothesis Three: Dating the Development of Consciousness”