Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation

General discussion regarding Jaynes's theory of consciousness and the bicameral mind. Please only post your topic here only if it does not fit into a more specific category below.
Ansible

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation

Post by Ansible »

Hello everybody, I've become quite fascinated by the bicameral mind theory and currently reading Reflections. Anyhow I remember a section in Origin where Jaynes talks about how in patients who have had something happen to the speech area of their brains could hardly talk, but could sing. I recently stumbled across a video on newscientist.com where someone uses transcranial magnetic stimulation to disable the speech region. In the video demonstration, the subject is reciting "humpty dumpty" and when the machine is turned on he can only stutter. They then try it when the subject sings it... which he manages just fine.

I happen to think this was worth sharing and who knows I may stumble across it in Reflections... I only just started it.
Site Admin

Re: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation

Post by Moderator »

I have also recently been thinking of TMS as a possible treatment for auditory hallucinations, now that their location in the right temporal lobe has been identified in a number of studies.

Return to “General Discussion”