Is My Wife Left-Handed or Right-Handed?

General discussion regarding Jaynes's theory of consciousness and the bicameral mind. Please only post your topic here only if it does not fit into a more specific category below.
Obdurately Conscious

Is My Wife Left-Handed or Right-Handed?

Post by Obdurately Conscious »

My wife and I are both Yoga and meditation practitioners, and I've read Jaynes' book and she reads Eckhart Tolle. There's much I could explain about what we'd like to do in reference to the subject of this forum, but the short of it is that we're not sure if she's really a lefty or a righty. I'm a righty. She, however, writes and swings a baseball bat with her left hand and does most other things with her right, like cuts with scissors, swings a tennis racket, shoots a gun, plays the bass and guitar, plays drums, and cuts vegetables. What are definitive indicators of the orientation of the hemispheres of the brain in terms of right and left "handedness"?
If you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is, it is most probably you.
Obdurately Conscious

Re: Is My Wife Left-Handed or Right-Handed?

Eh, nevermind. She's left-eye dominant. So, compared to my right-handedness, her brain most probably operates on the opposite hemisphere.
If you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is, it is most probably you.
Site Admin

Post by Moderator »

How do you discover eye dominance? I was under the impression that the only definitive test in mixed-handed people would to be to anesthetize one hemisphere or perhaps via fMRI -- both of which of course are impractical.
memento22mori

Post by memento22mori »

The best way to test ocular dominance without expensive equipment is to use what's called the Miles test.(1) Ocular dominance is poorly understood, but a left-eye dominant person seems to be more likely to be right hemisphere dominant. It's hard to say whether or not this is a more accurate test of cerebral dominance than handedness, one reason for this is because if a person has better vision in one eye than the other then the stronger eye is usually dominant.

(1) "Extend your arms in front of you and create a small triangular opening with your hands [roughly 2 inches x 2 x 2]. Select a small object more than 20 feet away and center it in the opening that you have created with your hands [which should be roughly parallel to your face because if you move them too far to either side then this will alter the results]. Close your right eye; if the object stays in view then you are left-eye dominant. If it does not then you are right-eye dominant."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/how ... 95263.html
Obdurately Conscious

Moderator wrote:How do you discover eye dominance? I was under the impression that the only definitive test in mixed-handed people would to be to anesthetize one hemisphere or perhaps via fMRI — both of which of course are impractical.
That sounds like more fun than the Miles test.
Aldowin

Post by Aldowin »

It's hard to say whether or not this is a more accurate test of cerebral dominance than handedness,
sbobet666

Return to “General Discussion”