Original or Reflections

Discussion and questions specific to The Origin of Consciousness; Conversations on Consciousness and the Bicameral Mind; Gods, Voices, and the Bicameral Mind; The Julian Jaynes Collection; Reflections on the Dawn of Consciousness, and The Minds of the Bible books.
onz

Original or Reflections

Post by onz »

Hi,

Many years ago I read a large summary of The Origins of Consciousness, it completely changed and improved my perspective and outlook on life. I'm now wanting to further explore the concept, but more importantly, I want to introduce it to friends and family that haven't been exposed to it yet.

So I was hoping to get some advice. When introducing someone to the bicameral mind hypothesis, which book will be more palatable for them, and have a larger impact? The original by Jaynes himself, or the Reflections on the Dawn of Consciousness?

Any information would be great :)

DanBlocker

Re: Original or Reflections

Post by DanBlocker »

Go for the original. It is not only a presentation of a highly original theory but also great reading. The other books are good and interesting but not as much fun.
onz

Re: Original or Reflections

Post by onz »

Thanks man, appreciate your help :)

Return to “Book Discussion: The Origin of Consciousness and Julian Jaynes Society Publications”